Best Practices for Students Using Respondus
Students using Respondus should do the following to avoid technical issues during an exam session.
- Make sure your device is in close range of your wireless router or, if possible, connect your device directly to your network router using a cable.
- Ask others using your network to minimize their activity (e.g., online gameplay or video streaming) while you complete your quiz or exam.
- If possible, avoid starting your exam at the top of the hour. Canvas and Respondus usage is highest at these times and can cause technical issues.
- Check for updates to Respondus software before beginning the exam.
- For Windows users, start LockDown Browser, select the “i” button from the toolbar, and then click “Check for Newer Version”.
- For Mac users, start LockDown Browser, select “About” from the toolbar, and then click “Check for Update.”
- Particularly for Mac users: If your exam will not load, follow the instructions below to delete and reinstall LockDown Browser.
- Go to the Downloads folder and move all LockDown Browser items to the Trash.
- Go to the Applications folder and move all LockDown Browser apps to the Trash.
- Empty the Trash and reboot your computer.
- Use a different browser than normal (i.e., if you normally use Safari, use Chrome; or vice-versa) and Download a new copy of the Respondus LockDown Browser.
- Once the download is finished, run the installer to reinstall Respondus LockDown Browser.
- Reset your system before beginning an exam by restarting your computer and making sure all other programs are closed.
If you are still having issues using Respondus LockDown Browser or Respondus Monitor while taking an exam, please contact the HelpDesk.